Friday 3 August 2012

It was a sunny day

I remember sitting in the sun on the verandah at Nana & Grandad's farm at Arahura with Mum. It must have been the late 1970's and she was just starting to look into the family tree.

She was showing me a page from the Cyclopedia of New Zealand about Edmund Thorn (a name that meant nothing at the time) along with a collection of letters. These letters were typed from the original letters that Edmund, his wife Anna Maria and his brother Ernest had sent home from New Zealand to Devon, England. A descendant of the English recipients had inherited them and had made contact with my great aunt (there will be more about this later).

It was from this collection that I started my addiction/passion for family history... thanks to Edmund Thorn.



This is my attempt to share some of my research with the rest of the family... the postcards of our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment